At Great Public Schools Now, our mission to to give all children access to a high-quality education. We are hiring for the following positions:
Director of Finance
Schedule/Status: Full time, exempt
Location: Los Angeles
Reports to: Executive Director, Great Public Schools Now
Great Public Schools Now is an independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the growth and expansion of public schools that can close achievement and opportunity gaps and attain strong academic results for students from low-income backgrounds in the greater Los Angeles area.
Leveraging a significant grantmaking budget, Great Public Schools Now will (1) invest in the launch or expansion of high-quality, public charter and district schools; (2) help schools find and afford adequate facilities; (3) develop new approaches to teacher and school leader recruitment and preparation; and (4) create avenues for greater parent and community participation in the
issues affecting public education in our city.
Great Public Schools Now’s mission is deeply rooted in our belief in educational equity and that every child in our city – irrespective of the zip code they live in – deserves a high-quality education that prepares him/her for college, career, and life.
Great Public Schools Now is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented professional to serve as its first Director of Finance (DOF). The DOF will provide strategic, operational and supervisory/oversight support to GPSN’s accounting, internal and external reporting, budgets, forecasts and financial controls. The DOF and Executive Director are responsible for the financial health of GPSN. Top level responsibilities include: managing financial resources, budget management; analyzing current and future resource needs of GPSN; making comprehensive recommendations to address those needs; and implementing agreed upon
The DOF should be in alignment with Great Public Schools Now’s beliefs that:
Every child deserves an excellent education, and it is the responsibility of adults to make
- High-quality public charter schools and parental choice of great neighborhood schools
- are critical elements in a city’s public education options; and
- Collaboration and cooperation by all public school models is essential to ensuring
- students have access to a high-quality education
The Director of Finance will be expected to:
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institute and maintain other planning and control procedures, analyze and report variances
- Refine internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting
- Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements consistent with GAPP, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, and/or reports required by regulatory agencies including year-end financial statements with supporting information
- Advise Executive Director on short-term and long-term financial objectives, policies, and actions
- Analyze the financial details of past, present, and expected operations to identify development opportunities and areas where improvement is needed
- Holds authority for the receipt, disbursement, banking, protection, and custody of funds, securities, and financial instruments; and interface with banks
- Evaluate needs for procurement of funds and investment of surpluses, and make appropriate recommendations
- Lead creation and implementation of staff capacity and implementation in budgeting and financial management areas
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards
- Inform staff of their program’s monthly fiscal status, prepare quarterly fiscal reports for the Board and preparation of the annual budget (calendar).
- Assess and upgrade finance organization as needed to meet the changing need of the business
- Lead the annual audit and tax filling processes with selected public accounting firm
- Support the Executive Director and Director of Operations in development activities including stewardship of grant funds, preparing budgets for fundraising goals and monitoring grant financial performance.
Ideally, the successful candidate will have:
- At least 10 years of experience, with at least five years focused on overseeing financial, accounting, compliance and risk management in a non-profit setting.
- Comfort operating with the degree of uncertainty associated with a “start-up” and ability to build the systems and structures necessary to operate an effective organization.
- Substantial experience working directly with a Board of Directors.
- A track record of leading, motivating, and building alignment and consensus amongst multiple stakeholders.
- Relentless results-orientation and commitment to continuous improvement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Deep knowledge of general accounting procedures and experience with budgeting, forecasting and cash flow management; experience in audits and state and federal contracts
- The ability to serve as a strategic thought partner and engage in creative, entrepreneurial thinking as well as the execution skills required to operationalize new initiatives
- Experience translating financial information and data into insights and strategic recommendations that are aligned with organizational vision and mission
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with a highly engaged, diverse, and committed team of six
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to mentor, motivate, and support a diverse team through inclusive leadership practices and collaborative problem solving
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to turn data into insights and anticipate questions and problems; relentless results-orientation
- Unwavering commitment to the organizational mission and its advocacy orientation
Personal characteristics desired:
- A self-starter. Highly motivated.
- Strategic thinker, able to anticipate outcomes and plan ahead.
- Self-confident and comfortable interacting with the media, board members, grantees and community organizations.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to handle a heavy, diverse workload.
- Unimpeachable and demonstrable personal reputation for integrity and ethics.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. Great Public Schools Now offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Candidates may send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by September 10.
Great Public Schools Now does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities. We will only contact applicants chosen for further consideration.
Posted: August 22, 2017